Tips for Healthy Pregnancy
Having a baby is a big deal. It can be overwhelming and exciting at the same time. There are steps you can take to get a healthy pregnancy.
Guidelines for a healthy pregnancy
- Go for all your prenatal appointments throughout pregnancy .
- Do not take any medications ( prescription and over the counter) without the doctor’s OK.
- Do not smoke .
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not take illegal drugs.
- Eat healthy . You’ll need extra protein, calcium and iron. You need to talk to your doctor about how many calories you need during pregnancy.
- Stay active unless your doctor suggests otherwise. Exercise can help you feel better, reduce discomfort and fatigue . It promotes faster recovery after delivery. Waking and swimming is actually recommended. However strenuous exercises and sports such as roller – skating and horse back riding is not recommended.
- Avoid saunas , steam baths and hot tubs . High heat can harm your baby.
When to call your doctor
You need to contact your doctor if you experience the following symptoms.
- Excessive vomiting and diarrhea
- Strong cramps
- Bleeding and leaking of fluid from the vagina
- Excessive or sudden swelling in your face, fingers and feet.
- Headaches, backaches or stomachaches that doesn’t go away
- Pain or burning during urination
- Blurred vision or spots infront of your eyes.
How to have a healthy pregnancy. Kaiser Permanente. https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/healthAndWellness/index.jhtml?item=%2Fcommon%2FhealthAndWellness%2Fpregnancy%2Fpregnancy%2Foverview.html. Accessed A, 2019
Bug Bites. WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/ss/slideshow-bad-bugs. Accessed June 21st, 2017