Pregnancy after 35 – What are the challenges
It is common these days to find women trying to conceive after the age of 35. Even though it has it’s challenges, most women in their thirties and forties are able to conceive successfully.
What are some of the challenges I face with pregnancy after 35 ?
Women after the age of 35 have an increased risk of these complications.
- high blood pressure
- fertility problems
- placenta previa
- still birth
- premature delivery
- cesarean birth
- babies with birth defect or genetic disorders
How can I increase my chances of having a healthy baby after age 35 ?
Taking these steps may ensure that you have a healthy and happy pregnancy
Schedule a pre-conception appointment : This will help your healthcare provider review your medical history, medications you are taking and discuss any health concerns that may affect your pregnancy.
Get early and regular prenatal care : This can increase your chances of having a safe and healthy baby. Prenatal care includes regular exams, screenings, pregnancy and childbirth education and counseling. It also provides extra protection for older women who are trying to get pregnant.
Prenatal tests for older women : You may want to consider prenatal tests recommended for women 35 and older. This helps determine your risk of having a child with birth defect.
Healthy habits : You have to engage in healthy habits such as
- eating healthy foods
- maintaining a healthy weight
- avoiding alcohol, cigarette smoking and illegal drugs
- staying active
- not taking any medications or supplements until your doctor says so
- women over the age of 35 take longer to conceive ( an average of 1-2 years ) so remain positive
- you need to be physically, emotionally and mentally healthy to increase your chance of conception
- now your body. Observe the signs of fertility so you can pinpoint the best time to have intercourse
- see your healthcare provider to make sure all your health problems are under control
- see your doctor if you haven’t conceived after 6 months of purposeful intercourse
A mommy after 35. March of Dimes. Accessed September 16, 2014
Pregnancy after 35. WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/colic-remedies. Accessed September 16, 2014