Signs of Sexual Abuse in Children
Child sexual abuse involves both touching and non touching activities.
Some examples of touching activities include :
- Touching a child’s genitals for pleasure.
- Making a child touch someone’s genitals , encouraging a child to play sexual games or putting objects or body parts in the vagina, anus or mouth of a child for pleasure.
Non touching activities include the following :
- Showing pornography to a child.
- Photographing a child in sexual poses
- Deliberately exposing an adult’s genitals to children .
- Encouraging a child to watch or hear sexual acts.
- Inappropriately watching a child undress or use the bathroom
It is not always easy to spot sexual abuse because the perpetrators takes steps to hide it. However there are certain signs that can help you know that something is not right. If you feel its not right ,it is always better to talk to your child than ignore the signs.
Warning signs of sexual abuse in children
- Sexually Transmitted Infections STI.
- Signs of trauma to genital areas such as unexplained bleeding, bruising, or blood on the sheets .
- Sexual behavior that is not appropriate for the child’s age .
- Bedwetting or soiling the bed if the child has already outgrown these behaviors.
- The child doesn’t want to be left alone with certain people or being afraid to be away from caregiver especially if this is a new behavior.
- The child doesnt want to remove clothing to take a bath or change .