Common Triggers of Headaches in Children
Headaches are a common problems for young children of all ages. The pain of headaches can be triggered by a number of factors.
Most common triggers of headaches in children
- Dehydration : Not drinking enough fluids is one of the leading causes of headaches. This is especially true when the weather get warmer and kids are more active outside and lose fluid through sweating. In this case the best cure is simply drinking water.
- Stress : Children and teen go through stress from time to time. If your child is under a lot of pressure at school or going through a big change at home such as divorce or a big move, a headache can result.
- Vision problems : If your child is straining his eyes to see faraway, this is known as eye strain. This can be interpreted as headaches even though it is different from recurrent headaches . An eye test can be used to determine whether your child’s eyestrain is caused by vision problems.
- Diet : Skipping meals can trigger headaches. It is also important to make sure that your child is eating a balance diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Sleep : It is important that your child gets the right amount of sleep each time. Not sleeping enough at night can cause headaches.
Headaches in children. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/headaches-in-children/symptoms-causes/syc-20352099. Accessed September 10th, 2019
Headaches in Children. Stanford Children’s Hospital. https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=headaches-in-children-90-P02603. Accessed September 10th, 2019