Warning Signs of Anorexia in Children
If you answer yes to many of these questions, you need to talk to your child and pediatrician.
- Does your child skip family meals and prepare her own food instead ?
- Is your child following her own diet ?
- Has your child adopted a ” healthy” vegetarian diet all of a sudden and obsessively .
- Are a no or low calorie food a major part of your child’s diet ?
- Does your child hide food in her room ?
- Are certain food groups or nutrients excluded in your child’s diet ?
- Does your child visit the bathroom after eating ?
- Does your child flush the toilet, run water, or turn on the shower while in the bathroom?
- Has your child lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time ?
- Does your child have unusual number of scratches or cuts over her knuckles.
- Does she have swollen cheeks or lymph nodes around her face, or broken blood vessels in the whites of her eyes?
- Does your child get dizzy or is she easily fatigued ?
- Does your child have several headaches, heartburns and coughs ?
- Has her periods stopped ?
- Does your child play with her food without actually eating it ?
- Has your child developed downy hair on her face, arms, and back?
- Does your child have bruises along her back ?
- Can you see the bones of her back and collarbones clearly outlined?
- Is she engaged in a lot of physical activity to help speed up weight loss ?
- Has your child become socially withdrawn, irritable, moody, or depressed
- Does your child seem more secretive ?
Anorexia Nervosa in Children. Johns Hopkins Hospital. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/pediatrics/anorexia_nervosa_in_children_90,P02554. Accessed October 8th, 2018
Eating disorders in children and teens. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/eating-disorders/features/eating-disorders-children-teens#1. Accessed October 8th, 2018