Similarities And Differences Between COVID-19 and Flu
COVID-19 and flu are both contagious respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses.COVID-19 is caused by infection with a new coronavirus (called SARS-CoV-2) and flu is caused by infection with influenza virus. It may be hard to tell the difference between a flu and COVID-19 because the symptoms are similar so testing may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.
Signs and symptoms
- Fever or chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Muscle pain and body-aches
- Some people may experience vomiting and diarrhea though this is more common in children than adults.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 that may be different from flu include change in or loss of taste and smell.
- Flu can cause mild to severe illness including the common symptoms listed above .
How long do symptoms appear when you get exposed or infected
- For both viruses, 1 or more days can pass between a person becoming infected and when he or she starts to the experience symptoms.
It could take longer for a person with COVID-19 to show symptoms that a person with flu.