Birth Injuries in Newborns
During the birth process , the baby may occasionally occur some physical injury that is simply as the result of being born. This is known as birth trauma or birth injury.
What causes birth injury ?
Birth injury can occur due to the baby’s size or position during labor and delivery. Condition associated with difficult births include the following :
- Large babies such as babies over about (8 pounds, 13 ounces)
- Prematurity which is babies born before 37 weeks
- Cephalopelvic disproportion is when the size and shape of the mother’s pelvis is not adequate enough for a baby to be born vaginally.
- Prolonged labor
- Dystocia which is difficult labor or childbirth
- Abnormal birthing presentation such as breech position
What are some of the common birth injuries ?