Puberty is considered to be delayed when the physical signs do not show by the age of 13 years for girls and 14 years for boys. This condition can be hereditary or it can be due to chromosomal abnormalities, chronic diseases or tumor that damages the pituitary glands or the hypothalamus which affects maturation.
What are the symptoms of delayed puberty ?
Lacking signs of puberty is the main indicator. Symptoms may be common, however each child may experience it differently. Symptoms include the following :
- Lack of any breast development by age 13
- Failure to menstruate by age 14
- More than 4 years between initial breast growth and first menstrual period
- Lack of pubic hairs by age 15
- Lack of testicular enlargement by age 14
- More than 4 years to complete adult genital development
The doctor will be able to diagnose delayed puberty through blood tests, X-rays, CAT scan and MRI.